Friday, October 19, 2012

ARC Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) 

By: Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: October 23rd/12.
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: E-ARC from publisher
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

My Thoughts:

Warning!!!! This is a sequel and I strongly recommend that you not read this book until you have read THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER. There are many references to the Unbecoming. You have been warned!

This was a heavy read, Hodkin's writing is unparalleled to any other YA of it's genre. The drama that surrounds this book and its characters can be a little overwhelming at times. But it is entertaining, nevertheless.

The dialogue between the characters, especially Mara and Noah, reminded me of the old show, Dawson's Creek, I almost always felt the need to go and grab my dictionary to figure out what the hell they're saying to each other. I mean, I get that they're suppose to be smart and well-educated, but what teenager talks like that?

Noah is still sexy and dangerous as ever, he's also incredibly reclusive and secretive, but I never once questioned his feelings towards Mara- in fact, I'm still jealous of her. I wouldn't mind having my own Noah, willing to do whatever it took to keep me safe. Plus who doesn't love a man who loves animals?

Mara is really challenged in this book, her whole world is completely turned upside down. She is taken out of her high school and forced to attend a day program for disturbed students. The doctors and nurses all seem to want to help her, but Mara knows that something more sinister is going on within those walls. Someone is messing with her day and night, and her sleep patterns grow out of sync, and suddenly we, along with Mara, are left wondering what is reality and what is memories or un-concious thoughts of hers. 

This carries on throughout the book, and I found the middle to become kind of stale, I grew lost in my reading, much like Mara, and I'm not sure if this was Hodkin's intentions. But the story picked right back up for the last couple hundred pages and than I found I couldn't stop reading- I just had to get to the end!

A couple things that I feel the need to comment on though. While I can understand the urge to jest when you feel like you don't need to be there (I'm referring to Mara's feelings towards the day group) I thought she showed poor taste in her judgement of others, and the way she poked fun at them. Not everyone who attends a day program is insane, some just need an outlet for their feelings and concerns, and I just didn't like the way it was portrayed in this book, through Mara's eyes. The second thing being, that I had a hard time believing that a 17-year-old girl, as smart as Mara, wouldn't say no to suspicious and unlabelled drugs given to her. She has every right to refute them.

Now I know it sounds like I didn't enjoy this book, with all my moaning, but the truth is, I loved it! It challenged me in ways I never see in YA and I think Hodkin is a beautiful writer, who has a strong passion for words, and a knack for writing a compelling love story. 

And that ending!!! What are you trying to do to us Michelle? I demand book 3 right now! The wait is definitely going to kill me.

Overall, if you enjoyed The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, you're guaranteed to enjoy this next instalment. If you enjoy an equal mix of dark contemporary and paranormal with a healthy side of romance, than you have to give the Mara Dyer series a try!

Happy Reading!!!



4 comments:

  1. Fab review! I can't to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for this book! I just got it and can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, after Mara Dyer I now own a big dictionary. But, still, after two books I still have no idea what is this series about. Book one was weird and confusing and book two the same.

    ReplyDelete