Wednesday, April 17, 2013

ARC Review: Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris

Unbreakable (Unraveling #2)
by: Elizabeth Norris
Release date: April 23rd/13. - So close!
Publisher: Balzar and Bray
Source: ARC received from Publisher
Unbreakable on Goodreads here.
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
Four months after Ben disappeared through the portal to his home universe, Janelle believes she’ll never see him again. Her world is still devastated, but life is finally starting to resume some kind of normalcy. Until Interverse Agent Taylor Barclay shows up. Somebody from an alternate universe is running a human trafficking ring, kidnapping people and selling them on different Earths—and Ben is the prime suspect. Now his family has been imprisoned and will be executed if Ben doesn’t turn himself over within five days.

And when Janelle learns that someone she cares about—someone from her own world—has become one of the missing, she knows that she has to help Barclay, regardless of the danger. Now Janelle has five days to track down the real culprit. Five days to locate the missing people before they’re lost forever. Five days to reunite with the boy who stole her heart. But as the clues begin to add up, Janelle realizes that she’s in way over her head—and that she may not have known Ben as well as she thought. Can she uncover the truth before everyone she cares about is killed?

My Thoughts:
A sequel packed with action and story-building!

The plot behind Unbreakable was so unique and ingenious- human-trafficing people from one Universe to another, seriously, how awesome does that sound? I thought of the film Taken with Liam Neeson, while reading Unbreakable, with regard to plot and action, which just never ends in this book!

I thought Unbreakable took on a much darker tone than Unraveling. Norris is clearly not afraid to go those dark places with her writing. I feel an obligation to warn all potential Norris fans, to not get too attached to many of her characters, because it could only end up in heartbreak. 

Janelle continues to be kick-butt heroine (no damsels in distress in this series!) and she faces many obstacles and is forced to make decisions that will stay with her for the rest of her life. 

We get to know Elijah much better in this instalment. He is the much-needed comedic relief in the tense moments throughout Unbreakable. I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever known a YA character to drop quite as many "F" bombs as Elijah. Haha!

My only complaint with this book would be, MORE BEN, PLEASE! Seriously, I kept reading and hoping he would show up, I was starting to feel a little desperate. But the Ben time we do get, reminded me why I love this man so much. My heart went out to him, because of the way Janelle treated him after their reunion. I understood her hurt, but at the same time I wanted to take her aside and be like "get over it, girl." He's so in love with Janelle and is LITERALLY willing to do anything for her.  That's one thing readers will see in this instalment, if you have doubts about the feelings these two have for each other, well be prepared to throw them out the window, because you will learn the true lengths and sacrifices these two are willing to go to save each other. 

Another thing I really appreciated was the satisfying ending. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief that Unraveling didn't allow. I only hope that there will be a book #3 and that it be entitled, Unwilling!

If you enjoyed Unraveling you're guaranteed to love this sequel!

Happy Reading!!!

Pre-order yourself a copy of Unbreakable:

HarperCollins Ca | Amazon | Amazon.ca | Chapters/Indigo 

4 comments:

  1. I really liked Unraveling, but I know what you mean to not get to attached to characters. I am excited for Unbreakable and can't wait to read it. Thanks for the great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bridget and don't worry, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Unbreakable! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Unraveling yet, but I want to read it soon! It sounds like my type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Unraveling I have being waiting for this one. I must buy it soon

    ReplyDelete