Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Indie Review: Prodigal by Rektok Ross

Prodigal
Prodigal
by: Rektok Ross
NOW AVAILABLE!!! (Order your copy here)
Publisher: lc13 Books
Prodigal on Goodreads
Source: ARC provided by Publisher/Author
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
It was supposed to be Lexy Quinn’s year. 

The hard-working wallflower has finally landed the coveted spot as Editor of her school’s newspaper. Then the rug is ripped out from under her when she finds out her mom is sick, and the family is moving half-way across the country to Preston Hills, Texas. Lexy can’t think of a worse place to be than at a school full of snobby rich kids where she’ll have to start all over to get people to notice her writing, or–who is she kidding?—notice her at all.

When the most swoon-worthy boy in town, who also happens to be the jock celebrity quarterback, gives her an exclusive interview, Lexy’s life takes an unexpected turn. Ash Preston is the perfect guy and, even better, he sees Lexy as she wants to be seen. But can she trust him? 


My Thoughts:
A great contemporary YA!

Let me first start by saying that, while I consider myself an open-minded person, I am not religious, not even a little. With that said, I really enjoyed Prodigal. It was a great contemporary read that I think will appeal to fans of Sarah Dessan and Susane Cosanti, it's a great story of love, friendship, family, loss, grief and forgiveness. 

Ross has incorporated a lot of my favourite cliches in her debut, one them being; the new girl caught in a love-triangle between two hot jocks (love this!). 

I really liked Lexy, she's a girl that goes after her goals- becoming a writer for the school newspaper. She's honest and hardworking and confident in her ability. Her voice/narration is refreshing, snarky and relatable. My heart broke a little for the loss and deception she endures at such a young age, but she remains a strong character through it all and I'd admired her strength.

Ash was a great leading man. Gorgeous star quarterback with many secrets and hidden layers. I loved the way his and Lexy's relationship progressed. Although I wanted to smack them both on the head sometimes and say "open your eyes!" with some of their decisions, but I'll chalk them up to teenage naivety. 

I did feel bad for Brian though, he's the resident "Jacob" of this read (i.e. second choice). He's a great guy and the perfect competition for Ash in the battle for Lexy's heart.

The religious undertones in this debut were very much muted and it's a pick that contemporary YA fans, who enjoy a clean and sweet romance, are sure to enjoy! 

Great coming-of-age novel!

Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment