Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Review: Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

Landry Park
by: Bethany Hagen
Release date: February 4th/14.
Publisher: Dial
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Landry Park on Goodreads here.
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
Downton Abbey meets The Selection in this dystopian tale of love and betrayal

In a fragmented future United States ruled by the lavish gentry, seventeen-year-old Madeline Landry dreams of going to the university. Unfortunately, gentry decorum and her domineering father won't allow that. Madeline must marry, like a good Landry woman, and run the family estate. But her world is turned upside down when she discovers the devastating consequences her lifestyle is having on those less fortunate. As Madeline begins to question everything she has ever learned, she finds herself increasingly drawn to handsome, beguiling David Dana. Soon, rumors of war and rebellion start to spread, and Madeline finds herself and David at the center of it all. Ultimately, she must make a choice between duty - her family and the estate she loves dearly - and desire.

My Thoughts:
Great read, with great series potential!

I thorougly enjoyed this debut and I think fans of DeStefano's Wither and Simmons' Article 5 will relish it, as it has an excellent blending of dystopian society with a futuristic aristocratic backdrop. Of course, it's always nice to have a sexy, rich, rebellious hero :).

Madeline is a strong heroine and I enjoyed experiencing the story unfold from her point of view. She's been given many privileges not afforded to many of her society, but what she really craves is the freedom to pursue her dream of education. Unfortunately this futuristic society has taken several steps backwards, and Madeline's sole purpose (or at least in her father's eyes) is to carry on her family name through a well matched marriage.

Enter our head strong hero, David. He's a man of mystery, with little pedigree, but quite the fortune to please Madeline's father, but he may already be spoken for... As well, there are a lot of questions surrounding this elusive and wealthy young gentleman, some you can guess right away, but others may surprise you! :)

I love the stolen moments between these two, and that's really what the scenes felt like. I also just found them to be a likeable match. They both want to do the right thing, but have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle and struggle with giving that up (which I think are completely realistic emotions). My only wish is that things could have "heated-up" a bit more between these two, perhaps a bit more progression.

Quick note: did not care for the character Cara, and I was actually quite annoyed with how her story ended up in the end. 

There's a bit of action in this book and some gritty, violent scenes. Hagen's setting kind of reminds me of a Jane Austen book, blended with an episode of The Walking Dead, not sure if everyone would agree with that assessment though, haha.

I can't wait for book #2, I feel like with the way Hagen left things at the end of Landry Park- we may have potential for a love triangle between Madeline, David and a mystery man, whom I will not name because I don't want to spoil anything ;).

Landry Park is a great read for fans of YA who enjoy a great blend of romance and dystopia in their reads!

Happy Reading!!!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome, this was a absolutely superior post. In approach I'd like to address like this too - demography time and absolute accomplishment to accomplish a acceptable article... but what can I say... I adjourn alot and never assume to get something done.
    Bundle Counting Machine in bhubaneswar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plan on putting calm a complete arresting post. Aces ceremony and complete accessible information. Able apprehension out and able written.

    wholesale Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! I wasn't a huge fan of Wither, but Landry Park sounds like it would be more my thing.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to reading this! I love ya dystopian books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard this is a really good book I just haven't got around to reading it yet. I think I may have to take the time to read it after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this book but other reviews that I've read say it's not as good as it sounded. I'm glad you liked it and left a positive review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely had some mixed thoughts about this book. I thought it was an intriguing premise, and I definitely liked the dystopian bits more than the Jane Austen bits, but I would pick up the next one to see where Hagan takes it from here.
    -Christina (Ensconced in Lit)

    ReplyDelete